Get your pet set for Easter

Stay one step ahead and prepare your pet for the busy Easter bank holiday with our seasonal advice.

Keep your pet safe this season

With the long Easter weekend approaching we can help you with relevant advice to prepare your pet.  As well as being aware of the risks that certain seasonal treats can pose, you may need to organise their care if you’re going away during the Easter break.

Find out how you can keep your pet safe during the season with our dedicated advice.

 

Chocolate

Chocolate contains theobromine, a chemical that can be poisonous to cats, dogs and rabbits. Dark chocolate and cooking chocolates have the highest levels of theobromine, although it’s also present in milk chocolate.

Depending on the size of the pet and the amount of chocolate eaten, the effects can vary from vomiting and diarrhoea to seizures, internal bleeding and even heart attacks.

If you think your pet has eaten chocolate, even a small amount, call your vet straight away so that they can advise you over the phone. Don’t try to make your dog sick, as this can be dangerous. Our 24-hour centres are available in an emergency throughout the bank holiday weekend.

 

Hot cross buns

While many pet owners understand the danger chocolate can pose, hot cross buns are another springtime treat that can be potentially harmful to animals. Raisins, sultanas and currants are all toxic to pets, causing vomiting, diarrhoea and, in some cases, kidney failure. Make sure you keep your pets away from them.

 

Easter basket fillers

Easter basket fillings such as plastic grass and straw are tempting playthings for pets, particularly cats, but they’re easily swallowed and can lead to digestive issues, resulting in vomiting, bloating and dehydration. Protect your pet from dangers by keeping them away from Easter baskets and other decorations.

 

 

Toxic bulbs

Some common bulbs and their flowers are highly toxic to pets, resulting in vomiting, diarrhoea and disorientation. Dangerous bulbs include daffodils, narcissus, tulips, hyacinths, bluebells and lilies.

Dr Gareth Richardson, Head of Clinical Standards at Medivet, says: “Fortunately, serious cases of poisoning caused by dogs eating toxic bulbs or plants are rare, though once spring arrives, we do see dogs with an upset stomach following an unwise garden snack.

"We advise owners to keep an eye on their dog when they’re out in the garden or woodland and, of course, if they are showing signs of being unwell, to contact their Veterinary Surgeon immediately.”

Pet Advice

Keeping your pet safe in the garden

Your garden probably contains a few hidden dangers that can injure or poison your pet. Find out how you can keep them safe outside this spring.

Cat with skin atopy

Pet Advice

Skin allergies: Atopy

As one of the most common skin allergies, atopy affects a huge number of pets. Learn how to spot and treat it.

Woman washing in kitchen with dog

Pet Advice

Your guide to pet-friendly spring cleaning

If you're one of the many people planning to spruce up their home this season, don't forget that many cleaning products and equipment can cause problems for your pets.

For more advice around the Easter season, and to check bank holiday opening hours, contact your local Medivet practice.

Find your nearest practice

Find your nearest practice

or

Medivet Healthcare Plan

Regular care that's always there. Our healthcare plan is a convenient way to give your pet the everyday care they need each year to stay happy and healthy.

dog looking up at owner

Our latest pet care advice

At Medivet, we’re committed to providing trustworthy, expert advice that helps you care for your pet. Don't miss our latest advice for keeping your pets happy and healthy.