Toxic bulbs for your dogs to avoid

Some Spring bulbs and flowers are harmful to dogs – so keep an eye on your pooch, particularly if they enjoy digging.

Daffodil or Narcissus

Daffodil or Narcissus bulbs, flowers and leaves contain alkaloids which can cause an upset stomach or vomiting if eaten. In extreme cases, they can even cause dogs to have fits. The bulbs are the most toxic part but even water in which daffodils have been standing can be poisonous so keep your dog well away

Tulips and Hyacinth

Tulips and Hyacinth bulbs contain a toxin which can irritate dogs’ mouths and gastrointestinal tract, resulting in drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea. Serious cases are rare but heart problems and difficulty breathing are also symptoms of Tulip poisoning.

Bluebells

Bluebell plants and bulbs contain ‘scillarens’, chemicals that reduce the heart rate. This can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and disorientation in dogs.

Dr Gareth Richardson, Chief Clinical Officer at Medivet, says: “Fortunately, serious cases of poisoning caused by dogs eating toxic bulbs or plants are rare though, once Spring arrives, we do see dogs with an upset stomach following an unwise garden snack.

"We advise owners to keep an eye on their dog when they’re out gardens or woodland and, of course, if they are showing signs of being unwell, to contact their veterinary surgeon immediately.”

For more information, speak to your local Medivet practice

Find your nearest practice

Find your nearest practice

or

Medivet Healthcare Plans

Regular care that's always there. Our healthcare plan is a convenient way to give your pet the everyday care they need each year to stay happy and healthy.